Re: location of the configuration files

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-18 17:00:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > Asking for everything in a directory with the name local in it to be
> > shared is kind of counter intuitive to me.
>
> Not really. If you install a particular program that doesn't come with
> the OS on one machine on your site, why would you not want to install it
> separately on all of the others?
>
> Typically, I want my favourite non-OS utilities on all machines, not
> just one. (Even if I don't use them on all machines.) Thus /usr/local is
> for site-local stuff.

Good point. Of course, in apache, it's quite easy to use the -f switch to
pick the file you're running on. so, with a

httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/`uname -a|cut -d " " -f 2`.conf

I can pick and choose the file to run. So, yes, I would gladly use it in
a cluster, and all the files would be in one place, easy to backup.