Re: Options for growth

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: GB Clark <postgres(at)vsservices(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Options for growth
Date: 2003-02-12 17:01:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, GB Clark wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:19:36 -0700 (MST)
> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On 23 Jan 2003, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > > Curt Sampson kirjutas N, 23.01.2003 kell 17:42:
> > >
> > > When did you do your checking ?
> > > (just curious, not to start a flame war ;)

> > Yeah, take a look here:
> >
> > http://www.sgi.com/servers/altix/
> >
> > 64 CPUs seems scalable enough for me. :-) When can we expect BSD to run
> > on this system and use all 64 CPUs efficiently?
> >

> I think FreeBSD 5.[1|2] will be able to. That was the entire reason for SMPng and
> KSE. There is not too much of the kernel left untouched from the 4.0 split.
>
> As far as NetBSD or OpenBSD goes, I would not expect it too soon...

I just downloaded 5.0 last week and I've a pretty little dual PPro sitting
here that needs to be ridden hard. It has lots of spare drives and Linux
is already on one, so this will be a nice box for playing with different
distros and what not.

Now I just need an altix... Even a little one would do. Now how do I
convince the powers that be where I work that we have a need for an 8 to
64 way SMP monster box?