Re: how to configure my new server

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Peter Darley <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to configure my new server
Date: 2003-02-07 17:33:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've always had very good performance with Linux's kernel raid, though
I've never compared it to Windows, just to hardware raid cards running in
linux.

I can get aggregate reads of about 48 Megs a second on a pair of 10k 18
gig UW scsi drives in RAID1 config. I'm not saying there's no room for
improvement, but for what I use it for, it gives very good performance.

Some hardware cards will certainly be faster than the linux kernel
raid software, but it's not a given that any hardware card WILL be faster.
I'm quite certain that you could outrun most older cards using 33 MHz I960
for checksum calculations with a dual 2.4Ghz machine doing software.

The only way to be sure is to test it.