Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 00:38:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Kevin Brown wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > During a lecture series at a university, I was criticised for not
> > discussing Oracle instead of Postgres -- students told me that
> > Oracle will make them money and Postgres wont.
>
> Their impressions are probably based on reality as it was a couple of
> years ago before the U.S. economy came crashing down.
>
> But today? Companies are trying to figure out how to do things
> cheaper, and there are a lot of situations for which Postgres is a
> good fit but for which MySQL is a bad fit -- if it'll fit at all.
>

> I seriously think the native Win32 port of Postgres will make a big
> difference, because it'll be a SQL Server killer. Especially if it
> comes with a nice administrative GUI. :-)

I've been thinking about this too. Addressing Tom's point: any one with
Windows experience, interested in the native port and willing to write a
Windows book would probably do a lot for the project. For one, I would be
willing to help write parts which were not Windows specific -- as I
haven't used that system in some time :-).

Gavin