Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector
Date: 2009-01-20 22:13:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> This patch adds another flag to pg_dump, this time to disable statistics
> collection.

You can pass session parameters to anything that uses the standard libpq
library using PGOPTIONS. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/config-setting.html for a
sample. I suspect that something like:

PGOPTIONS='-c stats_block_level=false -c stats_row_level=false' pg_dump

would do the same thing as your patch without having to touch the code.

That's a pretty obscure bit of information though, and it would be
worthwhile to update the documentation suggesting such a syntax because I
think this would be handy for a lot of people. I was already planning to
do that for another use case (pgbench) once the 8.4 work here shifts from
development to testing and I have some more time for writing.