Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL.

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL.
Date: 2008-04-04 06:21:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> (And you still didn't tell me what the actual failure case was.)

Database stops checkpointing. WAL files pile up. In the middle of
backup, system finally dies, and when it starts recovery there's a bad
record in the WAL files--which there are now thousands of to apply, and
the bad one is 4 hours of replay in. Believe it or not, it goes downhill
from there.

It's what kicked off the first step that's the big mystery. The only code
path I thought of that can block checkpoints like this is when the
archive_command isn't working anymore, and that wasn't being used. Given
some of the other corruption found later and the bad memory issues
discovered, a bit flipping in the "do I need to checkpoint now?" code or
data seems just as likely as any other explanation.