Re: Checkpoints questions

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Henrik <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Checkpoints questions
Date: 2008-03-04 12:45:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Henrik wrote:

> As a starter does anyone have some clues how to analyse this:
>
> db=# select * from pg_stat_bgwriter;
> checkpoints_timed | checkpoints_req | buffers_checkpoint | buffers_clean |
> maxwritten_clean | buffers_backend | buffers_alloc
> -------------------+-----------------+--------------------+---------------+------------------+-----------------+---------------
> 118 | 435 | 1925161 | 126291 |
> 7 | 1397373 | 2665693

Ah, nobody has asked this question yet. This is a good sample and I'm
going to assimilate it into my document that someone already suggested to
you.

You had 118 checkpoints that happened because of checkpoint_timeout
passing. 435 of them happened before that, typically those are because
checkpoint_segments was reached. This suggests you might improve your
checkpoint situation by increasing checkpoint_segments, but that's not a
bad ratio. Increasing that parameter and spacing checkpoints further
apart helps give the checkpoint spreading logic of
checkpoint_completion_target more room to work over, which reduces the
average load from the checkpoint process.

During those checkpoints, 1,925,161 8K buffers were written out. That
means on average, a typical checkpoint is writing 3481 buffers out, which
works out to be 27.2MB each. Pretty low, but that's an average; there
could have been some checkpoints that wrote a lot more while others wrote
nothing, and you'd need to sample this data regularly to figure that out.

The background writer cleaned 126,291 buffers (cleaned=wrote out dirty
ones) during that time. 7 times, it wrote the maximum number it was
allowed to before meeting its other goals. That's pretty low; if it were
higher, it would be obvious you could gain some improvement by increasing
bgwriter_lru_maxpages.

Since last reset, 2,665,693 8K buffers were allocated to hold database
pages. Out of those allocations, 1,397,373 times a database backend
(probably the client itself) had to write a page in order to make space
for the new allocation. That's not awful, but it's not great. You might
try and get a higher percentage written by the background writer in
advance of when the backend needs them by increasing
bgwriter_lru_maxpages, bgwriter_lru_multiplier, and decreasing
bgwriter_delay--making the changes in that order is the most effective
strategy.