Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date: 2007-12-20 02:25:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Dann Corbit wrote:

> Benchmarking a single system will really only explain that system.
> Someone may have a disk farm with 2GB/Sec throughput
> But such a configuration is very unlikely.

If you believe comments like those at
http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/1792-Do-it-yourself-X4500.html it's
possible to hit >2GB/s total to the 48 disks in one of the Sun X4500
servers, which start at $24K. May be unlikely to you, but I was reading
there after I set one up last night, and that's a boring standard
configuration for some Sun and Greenplum customers.

Also, that's today--by the time 8.4 is mainstream high-end machines will
be even faster. Wanna make a bet on how much disk throughput will be
available as SSD disks go mainstream in the next two years?