Re: win32 performance - fsync question

From: "E(dot)Rodichev" <er(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Date: 2005-02-17 14:54:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> The general question is - does PostgreSQL really need fsync? I suppose it
>> is a question for design, not platform-specific one. It sounds like only
>> one scenario, when fsync is useful, is to interprocess communication via
>> open file. But PostgreSQL utilize IPC for this, so does fsync is really
>> required?
>
> NO!
>
> Fsync is so that when your computer loses power without warning, you will
> have no data loss.
>
> If you turn it off, you run the risk of losing data if you lose power.
>
> Chris

This problem is addressed by file system (fsck, journalling etc.).
Is it reasonable to handle it directly within application?

Regards,
E.R.
Evgeny Rodichev Sternberg Astronomical Institute
email: er(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su Moscow State University
Phone: 007 (095) 939 2383
Fax: 007 (095) 932 8841 http://www.sai.msu.su/~er