Re: Pg JDBC3 driver and savepoints

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Matt Chambers <chambers(at)imageworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg JDBC3 driver and savepoints
Date: 2008-02-01 20:37:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Matt Chambers wrote:

> Has anyone here used the Spring Framework and JDBC template and nested
> transactions? The documentation for Spring claims that if the JDBC driver
> supports save points then it would use them in particular situations, for
> example when you marked a method as a nested transaction. I know postgres
> supports save points and that I can manually save point, but the spring
> framework is not detecting the driver supports save points. Is there some
> savepoint interface that has to be implemented?

I would guess Spring would use DatabaseMetaData.supportsSavepoints() to
determine if it can use savepoints. Our implementation of that says,
"return connection.haveMinimumServerVersion("8.0");", so as long as you've
got a 8.0+ server it should work. For more details you'd have to ask the
Spring people.

Kris Jurka