Re: Proposal: TABLE functions

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: TABLE functions
Date: 2007-02-07 00:39:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently PostgreSQL support set returning functions.
>
> ANSI SQL 2003 goes with new type of functions - table functions. With this
> syntax
>
> CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS TABLE (c1 t1, ... )
>
> PostgreSQL equal statements are:
>
> CREATE TYPE tmptype AS (c1 t1, ...)
> CREATE FUNCTION ... RETURNS SETOF tmptype AS ...

or you can do
CREATE FUNCTION foo(OUT c1 t1, OUT ...) RETURNS SETOF record AS ...

But I think this would be nice, I think the OUT parameters make less sense
than saying RETURNS TABLE(...). But what about functions not returning
SETOF?

--
The Schwine-Kitzenger Institute study of 47 men over the age of 100
showed that all had these things in common:

(1) They all had moderate appetites.
(2) They all came from middle class homes
(3) All but two of them were dead.