Re: BLOBs etc

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Sven Köhler <skoehler(at)upb(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOBs etc
Date: 2005-01-07 05:36:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-15] Sven Köhler wrote:

> But still the postgresql server could accept the data generated by the
> JDBC-driver's "setBinaryStream()" even for oid columns. Isn't that the
> missing piece to make set/getBinaryStream() methods work for oid columns?

That would work, but it's not going to happen. Setting up and using a
large object is completely different than just stashing data in a bytea
field. Convincing the server to do simple conversions is difficult
enough, getting it to do something of this magnitude is out of the
question.

> Is it known how other JDBC drivers handle this problems?

The real problem here is that pg has two binary data types that work quite
differently and each have significant strengths/weaknesses. Other
databases don't have this predicament. If we only had one or one was
clearly superior or they used a remotely similar API we'd be set.

Kris Jurka