Re: driver beta release

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
Subject: Re: driver beta release
Date: 2004-11-09 18:05:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Markus Schaber wrote:

> > You can add ?protocolVersion=2 to the JDBC URL. Which will make it use
> > the older un-parameterized method of sending queries.
>
> I thought a "compatible=7.4" setting should do this?

The compatible parameter is largely unused and at the moment only changes
the behavior of storing binary data. The 7.4 driver implemented the V3
protocol with the minimum of effort. The 8.0 driver implements (and takes
advantage of) many V3 features and the partial implementation was
abandoned. This means making compatible=7.4 mean the V2 protocol isn't
entirely accurate. Note that with the 8.0 driver the V2 protocol has been
simplified as well, no longer supporting streaming result sets or server
prepared statements. In general this release is going to be a major
headache for a lot of people, but that is a price we feel is acceptable
given the major improvements made in the driver. Keeping full
compatibility would be a huge undertaking and if you want true
compatibility you can actually use the 7.4 driver against an 8.0 server.

Kris Jurka