Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS
Date: 2004-11-08 09:02:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
> >
> >>[use a property file to configure datatypes]
> >
> > Looking at this patch again, I don't believe the JDBC driver should use
> > this extension mechanism to configure itself. The whole concept is error
> > prone with multiple .properties files,
>
> I don't see multiple properties files with overlapping settings being a
> common use case for exactly that reason.
>
> > so why should we start things off
> > by creating a properties file when we don't need to.
>
> The configuration information is bulky, so cramming it into the URL
> doesn't seem ideal.
>
> It's also cleaner from a packaging perspective: you don't need to poke
> application-specific internal configuration information into a
> user-visible or user-configured URL.

Let me be more clear. I like the properties file method for configuring
external libraries (postgis), but I don't like it for configuring the
driver itself. Specifically consider your addition of prepareThreshold=5,
suppose I wanted to override this setting with my own properties file.
Then I'd have to be real careful about how I setup my classpath.

Kris Jurka