Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: "Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>
To: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "ow" <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 22:07:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dann wrote:
>Sure you can. It's not easy of course. That's one of the things that
>CONNX software does (I work for CONNX Solutions Inc.). Certainly, the
>PostgreSQL group could accomplish the same thing, if they put their mind
>to it.
>
>I can easily join PostgreSQL tables to Oracle tables and insert the
>result set into DB/2. No programs, no extracts. Just a SQL query.

Very interesting... I was just in a conversation here at work about
joining data from an oracle system with data in a postgresql
system...

FWIW, Oracle has something called "Oracle Generic Connectivity"
and "Oracle Transparent Gateways" that do similar.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/datasheets/gateways/gateway_rel2_ds.html

"Oracle Generic Connectivity and Oracle Transparent Gateways provide
the ability to transparently access data in non-Oracle systems from
an Oracle environment....

...Oracle Generic connectivity makes it possible to access low-end
data stores such as Foxpro, Access, dBase and non-relational targets
like Excel. ...

...Oracle has transparent gateways to many sources, Sybase, Informix,
Microsoft SQL Server, Ingres, Teradata to name a few."

I was mildly disapointed I didn't see PostgreSQL on the list. 1/2 :-) 1/2 :-|
Is this similar to what CONNX does?

Ron