bytea and ISO-8859-1 encoding

From: "Uwe Kubosch" <donv(at)crusaders(dot)no>
To: "pgsql-jdbc (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: bytea and ISO-8859-1 encoding
Date: 2004-01-10 01:31:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all!

A year ago I tried using postgresql for storing binary data, images, in a
bytea column. I then got an error when trying to retrieve the binary data
with JDBC. The length of the returned byte array was too long, and it was
transformed, possibly a charset encoding.

After some digging last year it seemed that the problem only occured for
databases with ISO-8859-1 encoding.

The original thread is at

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-03/msg00008.php

Do you know if this error has been fixed? I seem to be getting the exact
same error on psql 7.4. I could find a reference at

http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php

stating

"Prevent mismatch of frontend/backend encodings from converting bytea data
from being interpreted as encoded strings".

Can anyone confirm that the problem is known and is scheduled to be fixed?

donV