Re: Are JOINs allowed with DELETE FROM

From: Steven Rosenstein <srosenst(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are JOINs allowed with DELETE FROM
Date: 2005-02-06 21:57:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Many thanks to Gaetano Mendola and Tom Lane for the hints about using
fields from other tables in a DELETE's WHERE clause. That was the magic
bullet I needed, and my application is working as expected.

--- Steve

Steven Rosenstein
IT Architect/Developer | IBM Virtual Server Administration
Voice/FAX: 845-689-2064 | Cell: 646-345-6978 | Tieline: 930-6001
Text Messaging: 6463456978 @ mobile.mycingular.com
Email: srosenst @ us.ibm.com

"Learn from the mistakes of others because you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Tom Lane
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)u
s> To
Sent by: Steven Rosenstein/New
pgsql-performance York/IBM(at)IBMUS
-owner(at)postgresql cc
.org pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject
Re: [PERFORM] Are JOINs allowed
02/06/2005 02:49 with DELETE FROM
PM

Steven Rosenstein <srosenst(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com> writes:
> Thank you for the link to the documentation page. I forgot to mention
that
> we're still using version 7.3. When I checked the 7.3 documentation for
> DELETE, there was no mention of being able to use fields from different
> tables in a WHERE clause. This feature must have been added in a
> subsequent release of PostgreSQL.

No, it's been there all along, if perhaps not well documented.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster