Re: Issue with now() within a transaction in pg74.213.jdbc.jar

From: "John Pagakis" <thebfh(at)toolsmythe(dot)com>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue with now() within a transaction in pg74.213.jdbc.jar
Date: 2004-07-02 06:17:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris (sorry for the second copy; forgot to cc pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org with
this) -

That did it. Thanks so much!!

Odd though. There seems to be a bug in the cygwin implementation of
postgres. Tim McAuley ran into the same problem I did and posted here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cast+timeofday+timestamp&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=bgdif2%2414kk%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=5

To save you from having to follow the link - an attempt to cast TIMEOFDAY()
to TIMESTAMP in cygwin's implementation results in:

ERROR: Bad timestamp external representation 'Thu Jul 01 22:29:25.402375
2004 USMST'

Here's what I did to get around it. Perhaps someone out there has a more
elegant solution (and if so I'm all ears because I hate this hack):

SELECT CAST( SUBSTRING( TIMEOFDAY() FROM 1 FOR 31 ) AS TIMESTAMP );

It looks like the CAST problem is a cygwin-only issue.

Thanks again Kris!!

John Pagakis
Email: ih8spam_thebfh(at)toolsmythe(dot)com
remove the ih8spam_ and you'll find me

"Think enough and you won't know anything."
-- Kenneth Patchen

This signature generated by
... and I Quote!!(tm) Copyright (c) 1999 SpaZmodic Frog Software, Inc.
www.spazmodicfrog.com