Re: Truncate Triggers

From: "Claudio Rossi" <wind(dot)claudio(at)inwind(dot)it>
To: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "wind\(dot)claudio" <wind(dot)claudio(at)inwind(dot)it>
Subject: Re: Truncate Triggers
Date: 2008-02-11 17:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There are also some compatibility concerns involved. If we add
> grantable privileges for TRUNCATE and/or DDL operations, then GRANT ALL
> ON TABLE suddenly conveys a whole lot more privilege than it did before.
> This could lead to unpleasant surprises in security-sensitive
> operations. One could also put forward the argument that it's a direct
> violation of the SQL spec, which after all does specify exactly what
> privileges ALL is supposed to grant.
>
> regards, tom lane

What about separating privileges: "system privileges" for ddl statements and "object privileges" for dml statements in an "Oracle-like" way? Then you could implement TRUNCATE privileges like they do (roles must have DROP ANY TABLE system privileges). Is or was there a discussion over this hypothesis?