Re: Linux Journal Editors Choice Awards

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Journal Editors Choice Awards
Date: 2002-09-03 02:17:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > Database: MySQL Honorable Mention: PostgresSQL
>
> Nothing wrong with that. From your list it seemed that in the categories
> where there were competing open source and open source/commercial backed
> software then the latter seemed to win over.
>
> This makes sense if their judging criteria included things like
> 'commercial support contracts', 'service level agreements', 'warranties',
> etc.

I think the whole thing's pretty biased anyway. I mean the open source
database market now includes SapDB for crying out loud - how can MySQL (and
even postgres really) compete with that? And what about Firebird? I think
the nominations were put forward by a bunch of people who've only ever heard
of MySQL and PostgreSQL...

(Not that I'd switch to SapDB ;) )

Chris