Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael March <mmarch(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD
Date: 2010-08-12 23:40:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Aug 11, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Scott Carey wrote:
>> What is the likelihood that your RAID card fails, or that the battery that reported 'good health' only lasts 5 minutes and you lose data before power is restored? What is the likelihood of human error?
>>

> These are all things that happen sometimes, sure. The problem with the
> cheap SSDs is that they happen downright often if you actually test for
> it. If someone is aware of the risk and makes an informed decision,
> fine. But most of the time I see articles like the one that started
> this thread that are oblivious to the issue, and that's really bad.

Agreed. There is a HUGE gap between "ooh ssd's are fast, look!" and engineering a solution that uses them properly with all their strengths and faults. And as 'gnuoytr' points out, there is a big difference between an Intel SSD and say, this thing: http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/s-class_overview.html