Re: List tables in load order

From: Kristo Kaiv <kristo(dot)kaiv(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Gregory Williamson <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List tables in load order
Date: 2007-08-07 21:58:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 02.08.2007, at 4:16, Gregory Williamson wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the appropriate list -- please point me at
> the correct one if not.
>
> I'm trying to create a procedure that would let me retrieve a list
> of tables and views in a database that will be used to control the
> order in which lookup data is created/loaded. So, much simplified,
> if table references table B, which in turn references table A, we
> want output to list table A, B and C in that order.
>
> I'm sure that this exists -- the pg_dump command must use some
> similar algorithm to decide in which order to load tables, but I
> can't see to puzzle this out.
>
> Can anyone provide me with some clues, appropriate RTFM references,
> etc. ?
>
> Apologies for any duplicate postings -- had issues with my sign up.

This is currently one of the main topics in skytools list. Check the
archives:
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/skytools-users/2007-July/000074.html
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/skytools-users/2007-August/thread.html
AFAIK they don't have it quite ready yet but shouldn't take long...

Kristo Kaiv
http://kaiv.wordpress.com (PostgreSQL blog)