Re: Precision of data types and functions

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Precision of data types and functions
Date: 2006-09-01 15:37:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Oh, I'm not saying that MySQL is a full-featured database, nor saying
that I agree with the MySQL philosophy. I don't. That's why I'm trying
to avoid MySQL.

However PostgreSQL isn't any more accurate with FLOATs than MySQL is.
The ANSI SQL standard for FLOAT is for an inaccurate number. It was
never meant to be accurate, so even though MySQL has a much more liberal
philosophy it's still behaving correctly when it does the math
inaccurately. Which is just like I would expect PostgreSQL or DB2 or
Oracle to do. If you need numeric accuracy and you pick FLOAT for your
field, that *is* the developer's fault. You picked a screwdriver when
you needed a chisel.

Now, MySQL's design to 9-fill fields when you try to enter a too-large
number is, in fact, stupid on MySQL's part. I consider that silent
truncation. Heck, MySQL lets you create a date on February 31st, or
prior to the year 1500, both of which are obviously nonsensical.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer