Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
Date: 2009-09-15 05:45:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 sep 2009, at 07.21, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
> wrote:

> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> Second, data transfer from the backends is now in the form of
>> structured data, and the actual logging message is put together in
>> the
>> syslogger
>
> I'd like to have an opposite approach -- per-backend log files.
> Syslogger and appending logs at only one file will be a performance
> bottleneck when we want write a lot of logs. Per-backend log files
> like "postgres.<backend-id>.log" would be a help then.

That would make the log more or less completely useless for any of the
situations I've been in.

I can see each backend writing it, certainly, but keeping it in
separate files makes it useless without post processing, which in most
vases means useless for day-to-day work.

/Magnus