Re: autovacuum logging, part deux.

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Rod Taylor" <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, "Chris Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum logging, part deux.
Date: 2006-05-04 16:25:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor wrote:
> I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I look at that mess
> is to find poor tuple/table or tuple/index ratios and other
> indications that vacuum isn't working as well as it should be.
>
> How about this instead:
>
> Log when the actual autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor (dead space cleaned
> up) was more than 2 times the autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor listed in
> postgresql.conf. This means autovacuum isn't keeping up to what you
> want it to.
>
> Another interesting case would be a large amount of empty space in the
> index or table (say 3x autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor). This may
> indicate unnecessary bloat and something to fix.
>
> Aside from that, the raw numbers don't really interest me.

Does anyone think we should have a stats view for the last vacuum stats
for each table?

I.E. capture all the verbose info somewhere?

Or, do people just want to increase the logging?

I still don't see a consensus on what needs to come out.

Do we still need the autovacuum_verbosity type change?

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com