Re: looking for some real world performance numbers

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: looking for some real world performance numbers
Date: 2007-10-22 14:28:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 22, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
>> Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
>>> Where else do they want to store relational data than in a RDBMS?
>>
>> Indeed. It seems like we can hardly answer the OP's question without
>> asking "compared to what?" If they're afraid an RDBMS won't scale,
>> what have they got in mind that they are so certain will scale?
>
> I suspect they're misapplying the lesson Google taught everyone.
> Namely that
> domain-specific solutions can provide much better performance than
> general-purpose software.

That and they've probably been reading a lot of reddit which has had
a fairly large number of posts over the past few months along the
lines of "CouchDB is the future for everything!!!" or "RDBMS are old
technology solution that no longer applies to today's problems!!!".

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888