COPY TO '|gzip > /my/cool/file.gz'

From: <david(dot)sahagian(at)emc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY TO '|gzip > /my/cool/file.gz'
Date: 2011-07-20 17:59:19
Lists: pgsql-general

From May 31, 2006; 12:03pm . . .

"It struck me that we are missing a feature that's fairly common in Unix programs.
Perhaps COPY ought to have the ability to pipe its output to a shell command,
or read input from a shell command. "
Maybe something like:
COPY mytable TO '| gzip >/home/tgl/mytable.dump.gz';

Is such a feature (ie being able to tell postgres to write a compressed file via COPY TO) being worked on ?

-dvs-