Ssl question

From: "Bronson, Allan B(dot) (Mission Systems)" <Allan(dot)Bronson(at)ngc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ssl question
Date: 2008-02-04 15:53:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I am trying to create a SSl connection to PostGres using JDBC and am not
sure if it is working.

I read that you must have openssl on the client machine for the
connection to take place. I have turned ssl = on in the config file,
created a cert and key file and placed them in the correct directory,
created a truststore and add the ?ssl=true to the url for the client.
When I do all this I connect and get data back from the db. My
confusion is when I read that I need openssl on the client machine to
connect, since I can connect without openssl installed. I do notice
that if my truststore does not have the cert placed in it, I get an
error saying missing certificate ( something like that ), does that mean
ssl is working for the client and server?

I am using Postgres 8.2 and have read that I may need to compile the
Postgres src code with openssl for it to be enabled. Is this correct or
is SSL already compiled into the src code?

Thanks to anyone who can provide information or point me in the right
direction. I am facing a tight deadline and don't have a ton of extra
time to research this more.

allan