Re: postmaster service seems to stop without reason

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: 'Markus Wollny' <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postmaster service seems to stop without reason
Date: 2002-02-22 14:13:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

The most common occasion of not deleting PID files is when a reboot happens
as then a SIGHUP is sent to the postmaster as well as the normal signal.
This causes the postmaster to reread its configuration, which means its busy
and ends up just killed of, therefore not deleteing its .pid file. I believe
that there was a patch that basically deleted its SIGHUP handler. This may
or maynot help.
I've not come across your specific problem in NT, although I've suffered
similar on 9x but never found exactly why (I'd asumed it was just 9x
dropping the ball).
- Stuart