Re: HOT WIP Patch - version 1

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: HOT WIP Patch - version 1
Date: 2007-02-14 18:15:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But now that I think of it, how do we get the root tid of a
> tuple? I suppose we'd be back to having backpointers or
> scanning the whole page... I guess pointer-swinging it is, then.

During vacuum you see a root [stub] not recently dead. You follow
the chain to detect if you find a live tuple that can replace
the root. You replace the root. You replace the original with a stub
that points at the root and mark it recently dead (and HEAP_COPIED_BACK
aka Pavan). ... (see prev post)
No need for anyone but vacuum to find a root.

Andreas