Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal
Date: 2006-10-13 08:41:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> The _other_ way it's going to be used is as a stealthy
> alteration to regular behaviour, to solve a particular nasty
> performance problem that happens to result on a given day.
> And every single time I've seen anything like that done, the
> long term effect is always monstrous.

Funny, I very seldom use Informix hints (mostly none, maybe 2 per
project),
but I have yet to see one that backfires on me, even lightly.
I use hints like: don't use that index, use that join order, use that

Can you give us an example that had such a monstrous effect in Oracle,
other than that the hint was a mistake in the first place ?

Andreas