Re: tuning autovacuum

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuning autovacuum
Date: 2011-06-09 20:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 9. Juni 2011 11:53:22 -0400 Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> There are at least four interesting numbers to collect each time autovacuum
> runs:
>
> 1) This one, when was the threshold crossed. I believe one of the AV workers
> would have to pause periodically to update these if they're all busy doing
> work.
> 2) What time did the last autovacuum start at
> 3) How many dead rows were there at the point when it started
> 4) When did the last autovacuum end (currently the only value stored)

This is what i've found me thinking about repeatingly in the past, too. I'd go
further and expose the info or details issued by VACUUM VERBOSE into the view,
too, at least the number of pages visited and cleaned (or dead but not yet
cleaned). Customers are heavily interested in these numbers and i've found
pgfouine to provide those numbers very useful. To have this information in a
view would make monitoring infrastructure for this much easier (depending how
easy or expensive tracking of those informations is, i didn't look into the
code yet).

--
Thanks

Bernd