Re: Disable OpenSSL compression

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disable OpenSSL compression
Date: 2011-11-08 15:19:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I distinctly recall us getting bashed a few years ago because there
> wasn't any convenient way to turn SSL compression *on*. Now that SSL
> finally does the sane thing by default, you want to turn it off?
>
> The fact of the matter is that in most situations where you want SSL,
> ie links across insecure WANs, compression is a win. Testing a local
> connection, as you seem to have done, is just about 100% irrelevant to
> performance in the real world.

Maybe that's paranoia, but we use SSL via the company's LAN to keep
potentially sensitive data from crossing the network unencrypted.

> There might be some argument for providing a client option to disable
> compression, but it should not be forced, and it shouldn't even be the
> default. But before adding YA connection option, I'd want to see some
> evidence that it's useful over non-local connections.

I will try to provide test results via remote connection; I thought
that localhost was a good enough simulation for a situation where
you are not network bound.

I agree with you that a client option would make more sense.
The big problem I personally have with that is that it only works
if you use libpq. When using the JDBC driver or Npgsql, a client
option wouldn't help me at all.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe