Re: Serializable Isolation without blocking

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Kevin Grittner *EXTERN*" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Michael Cahill" <mjc(at)it(dot)usyd(dot)edu(dot)au>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serializable Isolation without blocking
Date: 2009-05-11 14:07:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > All the authors show with regard to predicate handling is
> > handwaving,
>
> That is because predicate locking is a mature technology with many
> known implementations. The best technique for any database product
> will depend on that product, and their technique doesn't depend on
> which implementation is used. Assuming some form of predicate
> locking, do you have any other qualms about the the algorithm
> presented in the paper?

No - given that the algorithm is correct (which the authors cite from
another paper which I cannot easily access).

In my first reply I wondered if the presence of concurrent "read committed"
transactions would somehow affect the correctness of the algorithm,
as the authors don't mention that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe