Re: 2-phase commit

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Satoshi Nagayasu" <pgsql(at)snaga(dot)org>, "Andrew Sullivan" <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2-phase commit
Date: 2003-10-10 22:28:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2PC is absolutely essential when you have to have both parts of the
transaction complete for a logical unit of work. For a project that
needs it, if you don't have it you will be forced to go to another tool,
or perform lots of custom programming to work around it.

If you have 2PC and it is ten times slower than without it, you will
still need it for projects requiring that capability.

Now, a good model to start with is a very good idea. So some discussion
and analysis is a good thing. From the looks of it, Satoshi Nagayasu
has done a very good job. Having a functional 2PC would be a huge
feather in the cap of PostgreSQL.

IMO-YMMV