Contrib Versions

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Contrib Versions
Date: 2011-05-12 21:46:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

I don't suppose I could convince you to use dotted-decimal version numbers for the contrib extension versions, rather than numerics, could I? At this point, I think that would just mean changing them from 1.0 to 1.0.0.

Why? Well, PGXN uses semantic versions, which have this format, so I'm biased that way when thinking about dependency resolution (which is coming in the the PGXN client). But the other reason is because I think it makes sense for all the versions in a project to be consistent, and the core versions have (mostly) always used this format.

Thoughts?

Best,

David