Re: Hypothetical Indexes

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: <msalles(at)acm(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Sergio Lifschitz" <sergio(at)inf(dot)puc-rio(dot)br>, "Maira Ferreira de Noronha" <mairafn(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: Hypothetical Indexes
Date: 2004-10-12 20:10:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems to me to be a very valuable and interesting idea. (IBM has something similar)

Probably, for production you do not want your optimizer puzzling about possible indexes. However, it would be a very valuable tool for the test environment. I can easily imagine a setting that allows the feature to be turned on or off and the suggestions could (of course) be very valuable.

Do you have a paper describing your work? I would like to read it.

http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~postgresql/

There you will find a link to a tutorial based description of the hypothetical indexes feature we have implemented on PostgreSQL 7.4 beta 3.

I am aware that we shouldn't go on working on things that are not on the TODO list, but we had a research oriented focus. At the end of the day, it turned out that some of the things we coded might be useful to the PostgreSQL community and we would be happy if we can contribute.

So, what do you people think? Should we work together to make this new feature available on newer PostgreSQL versions?

Thanks in advance for your attention,

Marcos Salles.

P.S: An interesting consequence of having hypothetical indexes in the system is that this eases the implementation of index tuning tools (e.g. the Microsoft SQL Server's Index Tuning Wizard). We are planning to implement one such tool to the PostgreSQL database (at first as a command-line utility).

joining column's datatypes do not match