RE: Visual Basic and PostgreSQL ODBC

From: "Eric Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Visual Basic and PostgreSQL ODBC
Date: 2001-07-28 18:10:35
Lists: pgsql-general

> Two solutions use .EOF or .BOF on your recordset, or
> .MoveLast, get the
> .RecordCount, then a .MoveFirst. If you don't do the
> .MoveLast the record
> count tends to stay at it's last value or one. This should
> get you on the
> right track, note I haven't tried this with postgresql as a
> backend, but
> it's what you have to do with MS backends.

If you're going to do the .MoveLast, .RecordCount, .MoveFirst, make sure
your resultset is scrollable (ie, not forward-only). This method can be
very inefficient if you have many rows, and you don't plan on using all
of them in your application.

Another approach is to execute a SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TABLE WHERE <where
clause>, to get the record count.

eric