Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0
Date: 2008-07-07 19:26:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 7, 2008, at 12:21, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> My question is: why? Shouldn't they all use the same function for
> comparison? I'm happy to dupe this implementation for citext, but I
> don't understand it. Should not all comparisons be executed
> consistently?

Let me try to answer my own question by citing this comment:

/*
* Since we only care about equality or not-equality, we can avoid
all the
* expense of strcoll() here, and just do bitwise comparison.
*/

So, the upshot is that the = and <> operators are not locale-aware,
yes? They just do byte comparisons. Is that really the way it should
be? I mean, could there not be strings that are equivalent but have
different bytes?

Thanks,

David