Re: Best practice in postgres

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best practice in postgres
Date: 2004-12-12 04:40:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Nilesh Doshi wrote:

> My question is about schemas in oracle and postgres. Does every
> schema in oracle becomes a separate database in postgres ? OR it is
> still like oracle, where all schemas are part of big database ?

You can have multiple schemas in a single PostgreSQL database. Unlike
Oracle, in PostgreSQL when you add a user that does not automatically
generate a schema - that is a separate operation. See CREATE SCHEMA.

> Also, I thought vacuuming will be easier if oracle schema becomes
> database in postgres. For example in our case each schema is like
> 80-90 gb, smaller compare to vacuuming on 400gb.

I'm very new to PostgreSQL myself, so this is definitely not expert
advice. But the load imposed by vacuum is directly related to update
activity. So if your database is fairly static, you probably won't see
much benefit to splitting out schemas into separate DBs. Also, 8.0 has
an auto-vacuum daemon that is supposed to lighten the load incurred by
vacuum by checking frequently in the background.

--
Guy Rouillier