Re: WIP: index support for regexp search

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: index support for regexp search
Date: 2012-11-25 21:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> do you plan to support GiST?

At first, I would note that pg_trgm GiST opclass is quite ridiculous for
support regex search (and, actually for LIKE/ILIKE search which is already
implemented too). Because in GiST opclass we store set of trigrams in leaf
pages. In was designed for trigram similarity search and have sense for it
because of elimination of trigram set computation. But for regex or
LIKE/ILIKE search this representation is both lossy and bigger than just
original string. Probably we could think about another opclass for GiST
focusing on regex and LIKE/ILIKE search?

However, amyway I can create additional patch for current GiST opclass.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.