Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Date: 2013-10-03 20:54:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com
> wrote:

> On 03.10.2013 23:37, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
>> 2) Insert kluges into GIN to support both old and new formats. So, kluges
>> are kluges :) I don't see elegant way to do it for now, because formats
>> are
>> very different.
>>

> Hmm. All you need is some code to read the old format, and a function to
> convert a page to new format before updating. It doesn't seem *that*
> kludgey. It's a fair amount of work, for sure, but not insurmountable.

My notice was not as much about amount of work as about result.
ItemPointers compression reduce occupied space in all normal cases. It's
not very realistic, but it could increase space in worst case. That would
lead to page split after conversion. Are we going to support such case?

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.