Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)

From: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)
Date: 2014-01-29 12:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com> wrote:

> FDW's join pushing down is one of the valuable use-cases of this interface,
> but not all. As you might know, my motivation is to implement GPU
> acceleration
> feature on top of this interface, that offers alternative way to scan or
> join
> relations or potentially sort or aggregate.

I'm curious how this relates to the pluggable storage idea discussed here
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2013_Developer_Meeting and here
http://www.databasesoup.com/2013/05/postgresql-new-development-priorities-2.html

I haven't seen a specific proposal about how much functionality should be
encapsulated by a pluggable storage system. But I wonder if that would be
the best place for specialized table-scan code to end up?