Re: [HACKERS] JPA + enum == Exception

From: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] JPA + enum == Exception
Date: 2013-07-05 09:47:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Hi Andreas

On 5 July 2013 18:51, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no> wrote:

> I've been using Hibernate for years with mapping Enums to varchar-columns
> which works fine. Remember to map them with

I'm not trying to map them to varchar columns - I'm trying to map them to
columns with postgresql enum types as created by CREATE TYPE, see e.g.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/datatype-enum.html. The built-in
enum types are designed for that purpose, and perform better and more
safely than using varchars.

Mapping java enums to a typesafe and efficient version in the db was the
main reason I did the work to add native enums to postgresql in the first
place - I haven't had a chance to use it recently, and I'm a bit
disappointed that it doesn't work out of the box. So I want to fix up
whatever parts of the stack are in the way of making that work.

Cheers

Tom