Re: How to change the pgsql source code and build it??

From: Shreesha <shreesha1988(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to change the pgsql source code and build it??
Date: 2014-06-16 18:02:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

@Craig Ringer, I am afraid I didn't understand your solution.
The scenario I am having is a system which has only user as root. I have
all the permissions and privileges of the system as the user is root. But
pgsql doesn't allow initdb to be executed by root.
I think the solution you proposed gives root permissions for a non-root
user.
But I believe, I am looking forward for the exact opposite of it. In other
words, a possible work around for a root user to execute certain
executable(s) as an unprivileged user.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 06/13/2014 07:08 AM, Shreesha wrote:
> > I need to initialize the db as the root and start the database server
>
> Assuming there's no way around doing this (it's generally not a good
> idea), you can just use the simple program 'fakeroot'.
>
> This program changes the return values from system calls via LD_PRELOAD,
> so PostgreSQL thinks that the user it is running as isn't root. It's
> commonly used in testing and packaging systems.
>
> http://man.he.net/man1/fakeroot
>
> --
> Craig Ringer http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

~Shreesha.