Re: RLS Design

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: RLS Design
Date: 2014-07-11 18:30:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

On Friday, July 11, 2014, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > My feeling at the moment is that having them be per-table makes sense and
> > we'd still have flexibility to change later if we had some compelling
> reason
> > to do so.
>
> I don't think you can really change it later. If policies are
> per-table, then you could have a policy p1 on table t1 and also on
> table t2; if they become global objects, then you can't have p1 in two
> places. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but changing syntax
> after it's been released is very, very hard.

Fair enough. My thinking was we'd come up with a way to map them (eg:
table_policy), but I do agree that changing it later would really suck and
having them be per-table makes a lot of sense.

> But that's not an argument against doing it this way; I think
> per-table policies are probably simpler and better here. It means,
> for example, that policies need not have their own permissions and
> ownership structure - they're part of the table, just like a
> constraint, trigger, or rule, and the table owner's permissions
> control. I like that, and I think our users will, too.

Agreed and I believe this is more-or-less what I had proposed up-thread
(not at a computer at the moment). I hope to have a chance to review and
update the design and flush out the catalog definition this weekend.

Thanks!

Stephen