Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-29 22:42:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Andres Freund wrote:

> On 2013-08-29 15:07:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I don't really see a compelling reason why it can't or shouldn't be in
> > core. But having something better in contrib would still be an
> > improvement on the status quo.
>
> I don't see much argument for putting it into contrib. One class of
> users this will benefit is relatively new ones, possibly using some
> GUI. Adding some additional complexity for them to enable the feature
> seems pointless to me.

I keep wondering what this fantastic new GUI that isn't pgAdmin is, and why
it wouldn't be able to use the exact same mechanism that pgAdmin uses and
provides in a few simple steps to enable this.

> If you don't want your installation to use it, tell you ops people not
> to do so. They are superusers, they need to have the ability to follow
> some rules you make up internally.

The OPs people are the ones that will be upset with this because the DBAs
will be modifying configs which OPs rightfully claim as theirs. If they
have a way to prevent it then perhaps it's not terrible but they'd also
need to know to disable this new "feature". As for ALTER DATABASE- I would
be happier with encouraging use of that (or providing an ALTER CLUSTER) for
those thing it makes sense and works for and removing those from being in
postgresql.conf. I still feel things like listen_addresses shouldn't be
changed through this.

> The energy wasted in a good part of this massive 550+ messages thread is
> truly saddening. We all (c|sh)ould have spent that time making PG more
> awesome instead.

Perhaps not understood by all, but keeping PG awesome involves more than
adding every feature proposed- it also means saying no sometimes; to
features, to new GUCs, even to micro-optimizations when they're overly
complicated and offer only minimal or questionable improvements.

Thanks,

Stephen