Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test
Date: 2017-04-03 22:38:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael,

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 18:29 Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:12 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I'm very curious what you're thinking here? IIRC, Andrew had some ideas
> > for how to do true cross-version testing with TAP in the buildfarm, but
> > I don't think we actually have that yet..?
>
> I heard about nothing in this area. Cross-branch tests may be an
> interesting challenge as tests written in branch X may not be in Y.
> The patch presented here does lower the coverage we have now.

Not good if it lowers the coverage, but hopefully that's fixable. Have you
analyzed where we're reducing coverage..?

As for what I'm remembering, there's this:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5669acd9-efdc-2a0f-afea-10ba6003a050@dunslane.net

Of course, it's possible I misunderstood..

That seems focused on upgrading and I'd really like to see a general way to
do this with the TAP structure, specifically so we can test pg_dump and
psql against older versions. Having the ability to then be run under the
coverage testing would be fantastic and would help a great deal with the
coverage report.

Thanks!

Stephen