Re: Patch to add functionality to specify ORDER BY in CREATE FUNCTION for SRFs

From: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to add functionality to specify ORDER BY in CREATE FUNCTION for SRFs
Date: 2015-01-06 07:11:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> or not, has its cost. I am suggesting that we can eliminate this cost as
> well. For example, PostgreSQL does not check whether a function is really
> immutable or not.

That implies possibly returning a non ordered result set even when the user
explicitly specified an ORDER BY clause. If we are depending on an
optimization and it did not work out (even if it is a user error), I think
we should error out indicating that the order was incorrect rather than
returning non ordered rows, which could be disastrous IMO.