PostgreSQL Sr. Database Engineer / Analyst - Remote Work

From: Avalon Careers <careers(at)avalonhq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Sr. Database Engineer / Analyst - Remote Work
Date: 2014-03-06 16:58:02
Lists: pgsql-jobs

PostgreSQL Sr. Database Engineer / Analyst - Remote Work

ABOUT US:

Avalon Restaurant Operating System (www.avalonhq.com) is a Santa Monica, CA
based startup with a deep passion in building amazing solutions for the
restaurant industry. Restaurants fail at an alarming rate, and those that
don't fail underperform. Why? Because the current set of available tools
are fragmented solutions, not integrated and poorly designed. We are really
into food, food culture, sustainability and the business of operating
restaurants through creating order from chaos. We are continuing to build
up our team and are well funded with headquarters in Santa Monica, CA with
offices in Orange County, CA.

ABOUT YOU:

First off we would hope to find a true lover of all things food! We are
looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and highly motivated individual
for our PostgreSQL Database Engineer role. This is a long-term part-time
commitment (flexible work-schedule) with possible full-time opportunities.
Your primary responsibilities in this role would be as the lead designer of
the database schema and query optimizations to fit a growing list of
requirements and functions; resolve database related incidents and requests
arising from the engineering team or customer related reports; lead,
administer and review processes for database backups, maintenance, and
monitoring.

THE ROLE:
* Great communication and documentation skills
* Strong background in database and SQL design, performance tuning and
optimization.
* Create new schema to manage ongoing requirements during development phase
* Rewriting poor performing SQL queries to speed up response time; tuning
of database parameters, memory, & cache
* Address scaling issues, and experience with high availability, load
balanced configurations
* Ability to write background processing / scheduling jobs in Ubuntu
environment
* Experience with installs, backups, restores and recovery models on Ubuntu
platform
* Location in Los Angeles or Orange County, CA preferred but not mandatory

REQUIREMENTS:
* BS Computer Science or equivalent experience
* At least 7+ years hands-on experience with large RDBMS administration and
support
* At least 2+ years working with PostgreSQL
* Familiarity with writing database-web-services in Ruby or Java,
especially JAX-RS, is a strong plus
* Experience with NoSQL databases and technologies a plus
* Experience with Heroku or Amazon EC2 is a plus

Please prepare a thoughtful cover letter and email it to us along with your
resume and salary requirements to careers(at)avalonhq(dot)com(dot) We look forward to
meeting you! No phone calls please.